Engraved as the date of construction on the chapel's lintel is: "M 16 + 94". Renovations were carried out in 1756 when the ceiling was renewed. Further renovations took place in 1885/ 1886. Most of the work during the last major restoration in 1987/1988 was carried out by Stefan Holzer from Bellwald.
The parish church of the Seven Joys of Mary was built in 1698. It was consecrated on 10 September 1704 by Bishop Franz Joseph Supersaxo. It was renovated in 1976 with the help of and according to plans drawn up by the Swiss organisation for the preservation of monuments. In front of the parish church of the Seven Joys of Mary stood a small chapel dedicated to the holy family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph. The church tower with the top floor protruding is original. The tower was twice struck by lightning. The first time was in 1870 when, during Sunday vespers, an enormous thunderstorm was brewing. Lightning struck the tower, travelled through the church and killed the organist and a singer on the organ rostrum. On the second occasion, a violent storm was raging on 22 August 1973. The lightning struck the 2.5 metre-high cross and set fire to the shingle roof. A fire was prevented by the immediate intervention of the fire brigade.
It was built in 1733/1734 and completely restored along with the parish church in 1976/1977. The cemetery chapel is also known as the ossuary chapel because, in times past, the remains found when a grave was opened were piled up here in the cellar. Today, the chapel is used as a chapel of rest.
Although the chapel actually stands on land belonging to the municipality of Niederwald, it belongs to the parish of Bellwald. The chapel was probably built in 1666 as this number is carved in the vaulted medallion of the choir. Originally it was consecrated to the Blessed Mother, then later also to St. Apollonia, patron saint of dentistry. The altarpiece from 1891 depicts the holy virgin and martyr, Apollonia, in a dungeon. Legend has it that her teeth were knocked out when she refused to deny her faith. On a horizontal beam you can read the words: "WER HIER THUT BETEN VON HERTZEN DEM WIRT NACHLASSEN DEN ZENT SCHMERZN" (he who prays here from the heart will be spared a toothache). In the second half of the century the chapel fell into disrepair. Thanks to a donation in the will of Joseph Wellig from Fiesch, it was possible to restore it. It received a new shingle roof in 1964. With the generous support of Prof. Dr. Xavier Nieberding, the chapel was restored in 1990/1991. The renovation work on the foundations, the walls and the roof was carried out by Stefan Holzer from Bellwald. The inauguration took place on 24 August 1991.
The houses in the old hamlet of Ried were built on a steep ridge between two swampy areas. In the upper part of the settlement on a rocky ledge stands the chapel dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Mary. Unfortunately, the shape of this extraordinary settlement has suffered greatly in recent decades due to the construction of new buildings in the foreground.
We walk along the road from Bodmen to the hamlet of Eggen. Here, too, there is a chapel in honour of Our Lady. It dates from the 17th century. The Gothic statues of the coronation of the Virgin Mary on a solid gold base stand out against the light from the window. The whole group radiates peace, quiet and joy. It is not known where this group comes from.
The road leads us into the hamlet of Bodmen, which was a separate municipality until 1821. Here, too, a chapel was built to honour the crowned Mother of God. It dates from the 17th century. The Baroque altar from 1684 has two storeys. The choir has a seven-fold barrel vault, and the nave has a wooden coffered vault.
From Fürgangen we walk up the footpath and after a quarter of an hour we arrive at the baroque chapel of St. Anna, named after the Mother of Mary. The chapel dates from the first half of the 17th century and has a seven-fold barrel vault in the choir and a wooden ceiling in the nave. The choir is separated by a wooden grille. The baroque altar from 1691 (in the parish church since 1978) is built on two superimposed carved lauterbenches and is made up of three floors.
The hamlet of Fürgangen belonged to the parish of Ernen until 1963, and since then to Bellwald. The altar in the Fürgangen chapel is decorated with a baroque fabric antependium. At the top, on both sides of the connecting beam, is a crucifix from the 17th century .