Although the chapel is actually on Niederwald parish land, it belongs to the parish of Bellwald. The chapel was probably built in 1666, as this number is carved in the vault medallion of the choir. Originally it was dedicated to Mary, the Mother of God, but later the veneration of St. Apollonia, patron saint against toothache, was added. The altarpiece from 1891 depicts the Holy Virgin and martyr Apollonia in the dungeon. According to legend, her teeth were knocked out when she refused to deny her faith. On a crossbar it can be read: "WER HIER THUT BETEN RECHT VON HERTZEN DEM WIRT NACHLASSEN DEN ZENT SCHMERZN" (free translation: Whoever prays here right from the heart, the pain will subside.). The chapel still fell into disrepair in the second half of the century. Thanks to a testamentary donation by Joseph Wellig from Fiesch, it was possible for it to be restored. It received a new shingle roof in 1964. Thanks to the generous support of Prof. Dr. Xavier Nieberding, the chapel was restored in 1990/1991. The renovation work on the foundations, walls and roof was carried out by Stefan Holzer from Bellwald. The inauguration took place on 24 August 1991.